Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Peace Corps: What is it for? - Page 6 - Boston.com Named by Linda Joy Hardy at age 3 to be a different kind of organization

The Peace Corps: What is it for? - Page 6 - Boston.com The Peace Corp was named in 1948 while the Church of the Brethren was forming a alternative to war. How do I know! I was there and named it! I said to then Cong Dirksen: We need a PEACE CORP! A thousand young people would be lot a thousand points of lights to help others help themselves. The full plan never got passed as it was supposed to count for ones military service. Brethren Volunteers Service was accepted by Congress as fulfilling the requirement. In the '60's protesters ended up in the streets instead of in the Peace corps. In 1961 no one came back to me and asked to explain what Peace Corp meant.
Recently, Former Sen Mitchell is resigning from middle east Peace talks; as he couldn't make the peace agreement. Few know that the genesis of the Northern Ireland peace talks started when Gerry Adams came to the church where I was student pastor  and approached me after service to talk: I said you need a govt like the United States. He  was having talks at the white house with Clinton to try and make peace. Sen Mitchell went on to help set up the govt and ballots instead of bullets  began to be used.  I'm not saying I could resolve the battle for Jerusalem that's when waging for thousands of years; but it often takes several humans contributing  to make such and one person  usually can't accomplish such undertakings alone.

No comments: